Welcome

Welcome to the Blog of the Bradford Ornithological Group (BOG). Here you will find information about the latest sightings, an archive of information and a gallery photos of the birds of this area of West Yorkshire, England. We are an active group dedicated to the study and conservation of birds within this region which is situated amongst the Pennines of Northern England.

Send your recent sightings and photographs to us at this address: recorder@bradfordbirding.org Please add us to your contacts.


Please note that all images remain the property of the photographer.

SWIFTs IN AIREDALE AND WHARFEDALE - TELL US IF THEY ARE BREEDING IN YOUR AREA.

CONTACT - recorder@bradfordbirding.org

Thursday 18 June 2020

Thursday 18th June 2020

Little Owls in Airedale - a Report by Phil Matthews


Tuesday 16 June 2020 1730 – 1930 hrs

Generally bright and warm. Moderate E/NE wind


I went out tonight on my usual walk – Lady Lane, Walsh Lane then a bit of Heights Lane before turning round and retracing my route back home


I saw my first Little Owl as I came on to Walsh Lane, it was sitting into the wall in the usual field, the bird had its head down as if asleep.


1746 hrs

As I rounded the corner this bird could no longer be seen, but looking back at the wall from the other side another or the same bird was perched on top of the wall.



1749 hrs

I walked another 20 yards or so and stopped to count the Rabbits in the field. I noticed the owl had gone but could now see another bird on the far wall giving a Magpie the bad eye



1753 hrs

I carried on up Walsh Lane and did the part of Heights Lane I am currently doing on these mini evening walks. Then retraced my path back down Walsh Lane.  When I got to the area of Four Winds I could see another Little Owl on the wall there.



1854 hrs

Carrying on down the lane I approached the usual field for Little Owls and could again see a bird perched on the usual wall.



1859 hrs

I was then observing a male Pied Wagtail and male Blackbird collecting food in the field when I spotted a Little Owl was now on the wall to my left as well.



1901 hrs

Walking on, as I rounded the corner I could see the other side of the main wall and spotted a Little Owl chick.



1906 hrs

Looking closely I could see another chick was in a cavity a bit lower down the wall, the same spot I saw them last week.



1909 hrs

Then an adult appeared on the wall above them.



1910 hrs

When I got home I tried to work out how many had I actually seen this evening and I am still not sure. It is certain I saw two adults and two chicks as I had multiple birds in view at certain times. It is possible that is all I saw, but even so it was a spectacular show of Little Owls in one outing


Report and photos by Phil Matthews